Bee.bmp Newark Student Government Meeting Minutes


Most recent message from the NSG Secretary Catharine Parker:


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on May 29th:
    • Mr. Freccia reminded everyone that the 2007-2008 Officer election will take place during all English classes on Thursday and Friday of this week.
    • Volunteers were asked to help Count Ballots on Friday, June 1st and help with New Student Orientation on Wednesday, August 23rd. People who help out will get free t-shirts to start off next year.
    • Mr. Freccia announced the new policy of 10 NSG hours = availability to go on a NSG trip next Spring
    • Homecoming theme for September 29th decided. Top three vote getters were:
      • Polynesian luau - 10 votes
      • Red Carpet/Hollywood - 1 vote
      • Arabian Nights - 1 vote
    • Homecoming props and shirts will be ordered at the 1st officer meeting next week and "hopefully" arrive before we return from Summer Break.
    • Mr. Freccia awarded Justine, Catharine and Jae (the outgoing "active" officers) with tokens of appreciation for their work this year.


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on May 3rd:
    • Distribute/explain the Student Government election ballot
      • Elections will take place during Finals in underclassmen English classes (pending w/ Mrs. Sachar, English Department chair)
      • Confirmation from Class of 2008 and Class of 2010 that they would like to participate on the ballot for their officer elections
    • Ballot questions for effective leadership in events next year
    • Survivor recap/Homecoming Preview
    • Possible Survey Questions
      • McDowell/Nature Society - participiating in the recycling program?
      • Would you be more interested in taking AP tests if the fee was waived somehow?
      • Do you feel safe in the school?
      • Do you feel like the teachers care? How could the relationship between teachers and students be better?
      • Bathroom suggestions?
      • What future projects would you like to see done?
      • How willing would you be to participate, next year, in student government activities? [painting the halls, dodgeball, survivor]
      • Cell phone policy/I-Pod policy
      • Dress Code


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on April 18th:
    • Last minute discussion about Newark Survivor registration/events
    • Discussion about helping out the Laurie Merar Foundation's scholarship fund (for children of parents affected by cancer) next year
      • Possibly using IFlurtz or Penny War during Homecoming Week
      • Will try to set-up a meeting with Jessica Merar before the end of the school year (couldn't make meeting due to schedule conflict)
    • Discussion about talking to someone from Food Services at their request (didn't show for the meeting)
    • Student Government officer forms will be available at the next meeting.


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on March 16th:
    • Recap of Sadie Hawkins Dance cancellation
      • How can we improve interest/attendance?
    • What events do you guys want to do next year?
      • Events to keep (or add)?
      • Events to remove?
    • Student Government elections
      • Requirements for running
      • School wide or "internal"?
    • Mascot crew discussion
    • Newark: Survivor info


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on February 7th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room during all lunches (44 students attended)
    • Dodgeball Tournaments went well! Sound system help?
    • Sadie Hawkins Dance (March 9th)
      • All we need is people to sell tickets and help to make posters
      • Mr. Freccia will send out an e-mail regarding help. If you would like to help reply to the e-mail stating what days you can
      • Very casual attire, just don't be too risque or frumpy
      • Girls don't have to ask the guys - if guys don't get asked, or girls don't want to invite a guy, they can still buy tickets
      • Tickets are $5
      • DJ from homecoming is being used
      • A list will be in the hall for students to write down songs that they would like to hear
      • Mr. Freccia will find out about bringing students from other schools
    • Paint the Halls
      • Don't paint on any of the tiles, and the custodians won't get mad!
      • Something basic - put a base color on then paint a logo or yellowjacket over it
      • Main hallway will be painted
      • Possibly 5/24?
    • Survivor (we're trying again!)
      • Activity Night? - A few individuals from school organizations will stay for about four/five hours and participate in different activities created already for the Survivor competition last year (scavenger hunt, obstacle course, etc..)
      • Open it up to the entire school, like Dodgeball
      • $20 to register a team of ten (each person on the team can only participate in one "solo" activity)
      • Winners would get registration money, plus Student Government might "match" the money
      • No physical forms/parent participation forms this time (nothing dangerous)
      • Possibly 4/27?
    • Assistance for tennis team and FFA - about $150 each
      • If there are any other organizations that need money for a good reason they can contact Mr. Freccia
    • Complaints/Suggestions:
      • A snow plow for the parking lot?
      • The "sweep" policy has been reinstituted - if you are in the halls, without a pass, after 5 minutes in to the period you will be "swept". The 3-6-9 policy will be put in to action with "sweeping"


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on January 9th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room during first and third lunch
    • Dodgeball help on 1/19 and 1/26
      • Help may not be needed on 1/19 because there may not be a Student Dodgeball Tournament. If you are on a team, get your team to register as soon as possible!!!
      • We do not need too many people to help, just a few people to watch stuff. Look for an e-mail from Mr. Freccia
    • Shirts are in for the Dodgeball Tournament! They have been delivered to the teachers.
    • School beautification - Third Marking Period Event
      • Where? - Start at the A/B Intersection?
      • What? - Seniors get a ceiling tile to decorate however they want (pictures, paint, collage, etc.) and will be put back in to the ceiling. Hopefully it will be a senior tradition
      • - You may also be able to get permission from a favorite teacher of yours, or in the cafeteria, to get a tile from there
    • Fourth Marking Period Event Ideas -
      • Sadie Hawkins Dance? - Spring time, before Spring Musical possibly
      • Field Day? - A certain number of people from each class participate at the end of the year


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on December 8th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room during first and third lunch
    • Activity Days - supporting the teams!
      • Wrestling (2/5 against Red Lion or 2/7 against Christiana)
      • Ice Hockey (2/2 against St. Marks)
      • Others will be announced when the coaches get back to us
    • Shirts info -- order has been placed, they are taking forever! It's not our fault, they will come eventually! An e-mail will be sent when they are in
    • Student Dodgeball tournament will be January 19th
      • Tuesday the 12th stay after school to make posters for the dodgeball tournament. Food will be provided, only if you show up and stay for a little while
      • Organizations, such as Key Club or Sportsmanship Committee, can form teams within their organization if they like
    • Faculty Dodgeball tournament will be January 26th
    • Other business -
      • Mr. McDowell has brought up donating money to this women who rehabilitates lost animals for free. She buys everything for themselves, and gives the animals away for free when they are better. A drive may be done to raise money to donate to her to help her buy new stuff
    • Tennis
      • Money may be donated to help them buy new equipment and possibly paint the cement wall


  • Notes from Student Government meeting on November 15th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room during first and third lunch
    • Two student organizations came to us and requested a donation:
      • Conflict Mediation - $350 to provide lunch and dinner to those members taking part in the two day training (rejected)
      • HOBY Program - $50 to send a sophomore who excels in an American Government class to attend a leadership conference in Dover (approved)
    • Student Government shirts have been ordered; we are waiting for a response from the company as to when they will get here
    • Dodgeball Tournament/Battle of the Classes
      • Battle of the Classes will be towards the end of the year
      • Dodgeball Tournament will be in early January
      • For the student dodgeball tournament, we will have a meeting after school to make posters and put them up to promote it
      • Student tournament will be the week before midterms, and the teacher tournament will be the week after midterms (or vice versa)
      • Student groups of 10, students may need physicals and sign a release form in case of injury
    • "Mob" games
      • Sportsmanship Committee and Student Government will get together, along with anyone else who would like to do it, and go to certain home games as a big group to support the teams and help with school spirit
      • We will decide what games to go to later
    • Computers will be kept in the school
    • Next year, we may bring back an old tradition of having a bonfire during the homecoming game
    • The cross dressing tradition came from the Sadie Hawkins dance in the early 70's
    • There's a possibility that Student Government may organize a Sadie Hawkins dance in February
    • The next meeting will be after Thanksgiving break

  • Notes from Officer meeting on October 25th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room after school
    • The officers got up to date with each other and talked about the upcoming events Student Government is running
      • The officers will run the Student/Faculty Dodgeball Tournament, and the Juniors who have continually helped out with Student Government, and have interest in being an officer next year, will run the Battle of the Classes
    • The shirt design was decided and talked about by the officers

  • Notes from Student Government meeting on October 11th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room during first and third lunch
    • Homecoming wrap-up -- $7,100 made over all. After expenses were taken out, we ended up with a profit of $2,900
  • Two upcoming events:
    • NHS Battle of the Classes (formerly NHS Survivor)
      • Possible dates - December 21st or 22nd
      • Competition between four different classes. The student councils will participate
      • Each student group wil pick one person to do a challenge
      • We could have a few after-school challenges (ex: basketball game between the classes), and at the end of the week do the leftover challenges at a pep rally.
      • Examples for Battle of the Classes - Penny Wars, Tug of War, Relay Races, Football Toss, Jump Rope, Volleyball, Quiz Bowl, Dance-off, Pie-eating, Class Logo Design, Basketball, 3-Legged Race, Obstacle Course, etc.. (if you have any ideas, let Mr. Freccia know)
    • Student/Faculty Dodgeball Tournaments
      • Possible dates - February 3rd, February 10th, February 21st
      • Student championship game during the teacher dodgeball tournament
      • The winning student team will play the winning teacher team
      • Students make their own teams of ten and pay $20 to enter the tournament
      • The winning team will win the money that all the teams paid to enter the tournament
      • This year, the teacher teams will not be split up into departments. The teachers will pick different teams using a "draft" type of thing
      • Teams of 10-15 teachers will be picked
    • A design for the student government t-shirts will we showed next week - prices will be kept low, around $5
    • About 300 computers will be taken away from NHS to help with our debt -- what will happen to classes that need those computers, we have no idea
      • If the district does not get better with the whole debt thing, then the state will take over next year
    • Orion Kobayashi brought up "The Invisible Children" movie. It brings up the issues of human rights in Uganda
      • Teachers may be asked to show it in history classes to raise awareness
      • It may also be put on NHS! Live one day for any teachers who would like to put it on and watch it instead of class
      • Also, a movie night in the auditorium to show the movie for any interested students
    • Please encourage your friends to come to the meetings. If they want to have a say in what goes on with their high school, this is the club to participate in!

  • Notes from Student Government meeting on September 7th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room during first and third lunch
    • The themes for spirit week were determined!
      • Monday - Twin Day
      • Tuesday - '80s Day
      • Wednesday - Hat Day
      • Thursday - Senior Teach Day
      • Friday - Spirit Day
    • Homecoming Dance - "Under the Sea"
      • Photographs - There will not be a photographer to take your picture, but there will be a backdrop for you to take pictures with your own camera if you like
      • Ms. Mitchell will be opening the auditorium for students to check their coats/shoes/purses if you like. (there will be a teacher monitoring the items)
      • Refreshments will be sold by Key Club
    • Homecoming Court
      • Students will nominate one male and one female from their grade to be the winner of their class
    • If you would like to help count up election ballots, or put up decorations, please contact Mr. Freccia (if you have not already) in E105
    • Student Government will award $500 to the class with the winning homecoming float, and $500 to the class with the winning hallway
    • Ideas for the mascot's name are - (if you have any other ideas please contact Mr. Freccia in E105)
      • Buzz
      • Stinger
      • Wings
      • Jay the Jacket
      • J.J.
      • Jack(ie)
      • Yackit
      • Jacko
    • Mr. Freccia has e-mailed the administration about the problems with the lunch personnel.. he's still awaiting a reply
    • Please encourage your friends to come to the meetings. If they want to have a say in what goes on with their high school, this is the club to participate in!

  • Notes from Officer meeting on September 5th:
    • Meeting took place in Mr. Freccia's room during first and third lunch
    • Tasks were assigned to the officers to prepare for Homecoming
      • Homecoming Dance - Alexis Cutonilli (Vice President)
      • Homecoming Court - Justine Watson (President)
      • Spirit Week - Catharine Parker (Secretary)
      • Tickets - Jae Shim (Sergeant-of-Arms) and Sarah Hurst (Treasurer)
    • We will not have people nominate themselves to be on the Homecoming Court this year. Instead, we will have one round in which students vote for one person. The winner will be known, but the top five students from each class will be on the court.
      • Homecoming king and queen will be announced at the dance
      • Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman prince and princess will be announced during halftime at the homecoming football game
    • The mascot costume is in!
      • We will have students from Student Government, Sportsmanship Committee, and Cheerleading take turns wearing the costume
      • Sports teams will have the chance to reserve the mascot for certain games during their season
    • There will be an open Student Government meeting on Thursday, September 7th

  • Notes from Officer meeting with Dr. Caulk (August 16, 2006):
    • Meeting took place at the Special Services Center from 1:15 to 2:00 pm
    • Officers in attendance: President Justine Watson, Vice President Alexis Cutonilli, and the Sergeant-of-Arms Jae Shim
    • Dr. Caulk was informed about:
      1. The rescheduling of the Homecoming Game (now Friday, October 6th) and Dance (now Saturday, October 7th). The previous date had created scheduling conflicts due to SAT testing in the building the day of the dance (limiting construction).
      2. Plans for NSG activities this year: Homecoming (October), NHS Survivor (November/December), Student Dodgeball Tournament (January), 3rd Annual Faculty Dodgeball Tournament (February), and the Prom Fashion Show (March or April)
      3. Student Government plans to purchace a Yellowjacket mascot costume which will be donated to the cheerleading squad for use at NHS sports events.
      4. Student Government intends to create an activity calendar for each month (with imput from all student groups) in order to streamline meeting dates, activities, fundraisers, etc. to prevent scheduling conflicts.
    • Questions asked:
      1. Will the district continue to pay for students to take AP Exam(s)?
        • Unknown at this time - a district decision to be made at a later date.
      2. If the district decides against paying for the AP Exam(s), will students continue to be required to take the test?
        • A decision will be made by the District should that outcome occur
      3. Reguarding the appeal policy for this year...
        • Due to going to the block schedule, missing one class period (90 minutes) would be the equivalent of missing two class periods under the old schedule. Therefore, after nine absences (in a yearlong class) a student would need to file and appeal in order to recieve credit. The previous policy stated that students would have to file an appeal after 18 missed periods of 45 minutes each. This new policy simply reflects the change.
      4. How will parking be handled this year?
        • The decision will be made by Mr. Jezyk once the school year begins A similar system to the lottery used last year will probably be implemented. Efforts will be made, however, to allow only Seniors the right to park on campus, including spot checks throughout the year.
      5. Will the "air" be on during the fall semester?
        • Possibly - it depends on the construction work, which will continue afterschool thru October. Should the system work, it will be used.
      6. How will lunches be set-up?
        • There will be three lunch periods in place this year, with the first lunch starting at 10:30. Lunch will continue to be the same length as last year - but with fewer students in each cafeteria during each lunch period, seats should open up and the serving lines should move faster.
      7. Will I have the same lunch on both block days
        • Probably not, although it is possible. The lunch schedule is based on the teacher who you have third during each block day.
      8. Security wise, who will be patroling the halls?
        • Teachers and administrators will be asked to be extra vigilent during the change of classes (still five minutes). Additional support during the period will be tasked to staff members during non-teaching/non-planning periods.
      9. Any word on the referendum?
        • Given the climate throughout the state (and the situation within the district), the referendum has not been rescheduled at this time.
      10. State of the building?
        • Once the school opens on August 28th, construction activity will be minimal during the day. Activity in both gyms, however, will be limited through September.
  • Minutes of this meeting were taken (and transcribed) by Mr. Freccia.

Return to Main Page